Thursday, April 28, 2011

Aural

I'm learning to play the guitar. For Christmas, my brother found me a twin of the guitar that he inherited from our parents. And over the past few months he's been teaching me to play it. (I've mentioned that he's awesome before, right?)

It's probably not the way one should learn an instrument (it's certainly not the way I learned the piano or violin), but we've kind of skipped the normal "learn technique and all the chords first" and gone straight to "learn these five chords or this strumming technique in order to immediately apply them to this one song." It's a little convoluted, but much more rewarding, because then I can actually play something immediately. (Of course, there are lots of songs I can't play yet because I haven't learned all of the chords and such. You win some, you lose some.)

So far I've learned a rousing 4 songs. I need to up my practice time and learn more songs soon, becasue whatever songs I'm currently studying are stuck in my head on repeat even when I'm not playing, and a 4-song playlist gets old quickly.

At least I like the songs I've learned so far. A lot. :o)

"Well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift..."

No comments: